When I went to Sew Sister to get more fabric for the subway quilt, I spotted this great Hawaiian print in the sale section, and then some great orange and red prints. As I was about to leave I saw this wonderful yellow print, and had to get a metre of it. Last night I auditioned a few more prints from my stash, including a rich green that reminds me of my old primary school uniform. Now, what quilt pattern shall I choose? Here’s some pictures of the fabric I’ve chosen:
funny how the digital swatches never quite match the fabric… this is why I like to shop in the stores…
I rarely buy quilt patterns, as I usually purchase quilt books, and I never stick faithfully to the pattern anyway. But Chopsticks by Jaybird Quilts (Julie Herman) caught my eye a few months ago, so I picked up both the pattern and the triangular ruler that works with the pattern. I think these fabrics will work perfectly with it. I’m thinking that I will reserve the red (with beige and black “onion” like motif) for the back of the quilt. But more on this in a later post… I need to ponder a bit.
I had taken these pictures with a proper camera in better light – quite a while ago, and have only just gotten a chance to upload them. Enjoy!
I hit a road block when it came to deciding on the borders and quilt back. I was running out of fabric in the kona charcoal, and I had bought all remaining yardage off the the bolt the last time I was at Sew Sisters. After unsuccessfully auditioning multiple fabric combinations from my stash, I trudged off to the quilt shop in search of inspiration. The bright prints did not work, they made the borders seem heavy, and detracted from the centre. I found inspiration hanging on a wall, and settled on a thin inner border of printed fabric, and a thicker border of plain fabric. Luckily, I found a new bolt of Kona Charcoal waiting at Sew Sisters, and will mix it with some existing pink and yellow polka dot (from my stash) for the inner border – the effect is gorgeously modern, it feels like a pink frame floating in the charcoal solid. I chose the polka dot, since it reminded me of the scuffed up yellow edge of the TTC subway platforms – it appears to be made of a yellow rubber-like material, and is embossed with dots.
the back of the quilt has been a challenge. I have scrounged up every bit of left over fabric, and will just have enough to piece together the back. I’m including 4 large Ohio stars, and I’ve managed to incorporated the purple and pink flamed fabric, which didnt make it on the quilt front…. hope it isn’t overkill….