The first batch of “floor board” borders came together rather quickly. I knew I wanted red, to tie in the 4.5 metres on Stonehenge red that I picked up at Sew Sisters… this fabric was first cut into two lengths for the backing… then I trimmed away some of the width for strips on the front. I opted for brown and purple floorboard borders next, the finished with 3 shades of green. I had enough of the outermost border fabric left to whip up some binding.
I sandwiched and pinned this quilt VERY quickly. The snapshot above shows the quilt sandwich before I trimmed the excess batting – I used a queen size organic cotton backing. Even though I chose a 2″inch grid quilting design, it still took a couple of days to finish quilting. I was quilting right up until 4 hours before my flight to Venice. I was exhausted when I got on the flight… I have been sewing every night for hours after work… for about 4 weeks prior to the trip.
3 relaxing days in Venice, 1 day of train travel to Austria, and then, back to the grind – 4 hours of sewing and pressing this afternoon 🙂 I had cut the binding in Toronto, borrowed a sturdy Pfaff sewing machine from my partner’s mom here in Austria, and acquired use of his brother’s airy living room today. After a rocky start (the instructions were in German, yikes), I got the machine working. Soon the binding was pieced, folded and pressed, and attached to the quilt. Not my neatest work, but the quilt will withstand regular usage 🙂
It’s currently being washed and dried, and I will trim away any threads tomorrow. Hopefully, all this covert activity has gone unnoticed by Opa, and he will be surprised for his birthday this weekend 🙂